We have a lot going on in the next two weeks, so it should really fly by!
Thanks to all the parents who volunteered or showed up at Field Day - it's always nice to have your support!
Also, a huge thanks to everyone who sent in supplies to feed the homeless! Our class made exactly 120 sack lunches - some bags had two sandwiches in them. Fifth and second grade classes combined to feed over 600 children this weekend. Thank you for being so amazing! That project would not happen without you.
This entire week will consist of reading, math, and language arts classes. We are preparing for our big "Career Dress Up Day" presentations on Friday! All career essays should already be completed. I'll be taking up portfolios this week. All work for the career project is being done in class. Students will have four and a half hours in class to work on their posters before they are due on Wednesday.
This Week in Reading
Students will be working in four centers this week:
1) Skill Center - students will work on organizational structure (RI.5)
2) Computer Center - students will complete a website evaluation on the topic of dihydrogen monoxide (RI.7)
3) Writing Center - students will write a Top 10 List brochure on tips to survive Mrs. Thompson's class for next year's students (W.5.2)
4) Teacher Center - students will work with me to read a fictional passage about an out-of-control dog, then we'll read an informational passage about how to train dogs. Students will relate the information in each passage together. (RL.9, RI.9)
Extra Reading Class
For students who have an additional reading class, we'll be reading and discussing the following topics:
1) Animal dads - details from the text (RI.1)
2) Carlsbad Caverns - vocabulary (RI.4)
3) Dangerous chemicals in sodas - main idea, supporting details, organizing structure (RI.1, RI.2, RI.5)
4) Cameras in the wild - vocabulary, main idea, organizing structure (RI.2, RI.4, RI.5)
This Week in Language Arts
This week, we'll be finishing up our presentations to get ready for Friday!
Wednesday: Posters Due
Thursday: Write and practice speeches
Friday: Career Dress Up Day & Presentations
*Please send clothing to school so your child can change for the presentation. Students may bring props to support their career presentations. Presentations will begin at 12:30 and last until 1:30.
May is Marvelous: Dates
Tuesday, May 13th Author visit to CAA
Wed., May 14th Walk to School Day; meet at Rock Creek Park; Career Project Posters DUE
Friday, May 16th Italian Ice, $2; Career Projects Due! This is also CAREER DRESS UP DAY. Essays should be turned in by today, and posters should be finished. Students need to come in dressed for their careers, ready to present. Appropriate props are allowed. Presentations are at 12:30 - parents are invited to attend!
Tuesday, May 20 Walk to Bruster's; we will take a tour and make our own ice cream flavor! Please send in $3 each. Leave school at 12, arrive at 12:15. Return to school by 1:30.
Wed., May 21 Visit Guest House - perform a Civil Rights concert (leave at 9:15; concert at 9:45 am)`
Thursday, May 22nd End of Year Party @ Funtastik, 10 am; please bring in $5 for arcade games. Pizza, cupcakes, and drinks are provided.
Friday, May 23rd Last Day of School; Last Day Breakfast. The school is providing a basic breakfast for all the students; please feel free to send in additional breakfast snacks if you would like. We will eat after announcements. We will have our end-of-year slideshow around 8 am, then students will receive class awards after that.